Re: keeping Charlie on the road

At 6:32 PM -0600 12/15/98, David Yando wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:35:22 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Kathy Forer <kforer@domain.elided>
>> Subject: Help/advice please: 50,000mi 2002 DOA?
>>
>> I'm the original owner of a 1976 maroon bmw 2002 manualT.
>> It ran 10 years ago, then I let it sit under a tree for another ten.
>>
>> I don't know what to do, but would appreciate any and all advice.
>> Thank you
>> kforer@domain.elided
>>
>> Kathy Forer
>
>Hi Kathy,
>
>I second all that Jefrem has said, but would also point out that If your

sounds pretty insightful

>mechanic meant weatherstripping when he mentioned rubber being worn out,
>that that can mean upwards of $600 to replace, parts alone!  Other areas

He said inside the chassis or something, some kind of back up for the brake
and the surrounding rubber.
>(Wouldn't it be funny if he did replace the guibo, but had forgotten to
>remove the steel band, and it did snap and tear-up the guibo, resulting in
>alot of thunking, and he's either not sure what he did wrong or he's
>trying to pull a fast one?  Geez, I hope not).
sounds like what happened. Nice to know it has a name and place. that it's
dealable and rational.

>to look at for rust include the spare tire well and floorboards (esp.
>Pass. side) and the edges of the hood and trunk, where the trim is
>attached(look for bubbling paint along/under the trim)  Almost all rust
>is fixable on an '02, it just depends on how bad you want to keep the
>car, and how serious the problem really is.

The rust wasn't so bad: rocker panels and under the front seats.
Maybe much deeper, inside the chassis, invisible???

Where are you located?           NJ

>There may be a good independent mechanic or someone knowledgeable in
>older Bimmers that could look at it for you, and render a second
>opinion.  You might also post your concerns to the '02 Digest, and see
>if you get any other advice(if you haven't already done so, I haven't
>read that far yet today!)  Good Luck, and hope you can keep Charlie on
>the road!

I'm in between thinking I've been ripped off and just in the hands of an
incompetent mechanic.
I did see work done the one time I visited (I'm in the midst of several
moves and am, as well, not quite mobile...) I'm trying to be above board
and ask what he thinks it will need but have a very humongous grain of salt
and will take it for a second opinion, although it's apparently all over
the darned floor....

I need a reputable Monmouth County, NJ mechanic (or nearby)

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yor subject line is the best! it
really makes me smile and I'll keep it in front of my mind as I finally
pursue the repair properly.
I hope it's not too late; this has become a bit symbolic to me and I've
nearly lost site of the reality and reason of it all, just relying on trust
and a smooth-talking mechanic, who may not be bad person, just in a bad
racket.....

Kathy

>Dave Y
>'74 2002
>BMW CCA, SCCA

Kathy Forer
Forever Ink | http://www.foreverink.com/sculpture/
  "I am a minor artist and my dealer won't even display my work if he can
help it but minor is as minor does and lightning may strike even yet. Don't
be reconciled. Turn off your television sets," Peterson said, "cash in your
life insurance, indulge in a mindless optimism."
  -- Donald Barthelme, A Shower of Gold, 1964