Re: Runaway Car - BMW Emulates Audi? - long

This actually happened to me several years ago.  Wasn't a big deal but the
story is this.  I was driving along the freeway getting a little irritated
because I had been stuck behind a fellow blocking the left lane.  He finally
moved right and of course I over-reacted and floored it because I was
frustrated.  I started reaching 100mph and decided I had better calm down a
little and bring my speed down.  So I took my foot off the gas and the car
kept accelerating.  I tapped the accelerator thinking something was just a
little stuck and I still kept accelerating.  I put the clutch in, put it in
neutral and the engine was stuck about 4,000 rpm.  I kept tapping on the
accelerator hoping to joggle whatever was stuck loose but no luck.  So I
pulled over assuming it was the DME or something $$ like that.  I popped the
hood doubtfull, but hopefull.  I found the problem within seconds.  What had
happened is that the plastic clip that holds the throttle cable to the
throttle body had broken, wedging the cable and holding the throttle open.
I don't think it was wide open, but probably about 3/4 or so.  Anyway I
found a chunk of wood and a piece of string by the side of the road.  I
whittled the wood down to about the right size and shape with my teeth and
wrapped it in place with the piece of string.  What's funny is I've had that
rig job on my car for about 4 years and it still works fine.  I should take
a picture and see if somebody would be willing to post it for me so y'all
can have a good laugh at me ...err with me.  I bet the guy I passed was
probably got a good chuckle when he saw me pulled off the side of the road
with my hood up, but that's OK.  I probably deserved it.

So it can truely be mechanical failure, but in my case I just put the clutch
in and it was no big deal.  Of course starting the car in a parking lot and
having it take off full speed ahead is quite different than your car not
slowing down on a stretch of highway, so I guess I was lucky it broke when
it did.

- --David Boyd
'84 325e 200k
'85 Tercel Wagon -- Dead, looking for a new beater and grieving at my loss.

They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee, ho ho.