Re: Trip Computer Swap

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Jason Lile wrote:

> >  I followed very detailed, well thought
> > out instructions from John Firestone and also verified his wiring
> > instructions to the ETM (elec trouble shooting manuel) for the car (in my
> > case a '96 328i).
>
> While a difficult and time consuming effort on the 328i or 325i or M3
> cars that did not come with the full OBC, we must remember that the
> original poster has a 318i.  This car does not start out with the
> basic check control system. Therefore, it's going to be even more
> difficult (read waaaaay more trouble than it's worth) to add this to
> his car.

Well, I have come to a different opinion. I think you will find that
on those models, the retrofit isn't nearly as hard as it first
appears, and for what he wants on his 318i, he will only have to add
one more wire, bringing the total to 5 or 6.  I report this as someone
who has added an OBC to a U.S. E36 318is, and taught others to add one
as well. But, no, *please* don't believe me.  Keep talking. Your
making our accomplishments seem heroic. :)

To return to the original query, I believe the guy who asked wanted to
add a trip computer. Given what one reads on the digest of the check
control system, and its opinions of all manner of perfectly
functional, incandescent and solid-state lamps, it probably *is*
waaaaay more trouble than it's worth. Well, there is no need for
asceticism - just say no to check control.

- -John
'96 318is (with OBC but no stinkin' badges or check-control)

- --
john.firestone@domain.elided