Re: E36 M3 rear suspension noise

Geoff asks:

> Hi all, My '95 M3 has developed a very disturbing noise in the rear
> suspension.  When every I go over uneven road surfaces or speed bumps,
> it would make a klunking sound, it almost sounds like something is loose
> and is hitting something???  I have H&R sport spring, Bilstein Sports,
> and RD sway bar.  These components were installed a while back, and
> never made the sound 'till recently.  I've changed the rear shock
> mounts, but that didn't cure the problem.  Any suggestions?  please
> advise, TIA.

My '97 had a similar problem, the dealer even replaced the shock mounts, yet
it still clunked.  In my case it turned out to be a loose e-brake cable.  Try
this:  find a stretch of road where you know the rear clunks.  Just before you
get there, pull up the e-brake handle just a bit, a click or two.  If it
didn't clunk, you've found the cause.  Mine stopped when I did that.  Told
this to the dealer, they tightened the e-brake down pretty good, and it's been
silent ever since.

Thanks to the National Capital Chapter's editors for finding & printing this
tech tip!

Andrej Dolenc
'97 ///M3
CCA #142510 / NCC