Snow Chains.....

- ---------------------------->
>>Have anyone try chains or cables on a 98' M3?
>>Is there enough clearance for the chain/cable?
>>Will the chain/cable be hazardous to the rim?
>
>This is a REALLY bad idea.
>
>The only corrrect solution is to buy a set of snow tires/wheels for the
car.
>One of your primary problems with the MXX3's or any other ultra hi-po tire
>is that they don't work when cold. The temperature drops and they turn into
>ball bearings, even with minimal snow on the road.  These tires are
designed
>to work at higher temps.  Chains and cables can not only chew up your tire
>and rim, but when they come loose (and they ALL come loose) they will play
>hell with your paint and fenders in addition to wrapping themselves up
>around your axles.
>
>Duane Collie
I agree with Duane 100% on using the proper tire for conditions.  Note: The
BMW Owner's manual forbids chains on the M3 because minimal tire to fender
clearance.

Nevertheless, I have put chains on my 95 M3 with 235/40/MXX3s.  Nearly 3
years go I ventured up to lake tahoe and got caught in an unexpected snow
storm.  The only way I was getting home was to put chains on.

While I was driving home, before the snow chain area...I hit a patch of road
with minimal traction at about 30-35 mph..  The temp was about 34F.  I got
the back end loose and tried to correcty, but finally the car spun of the
road.  I WAS EXTREMELY LUCKY, that the drop off was  minimal and I missed
hitting a very large tree.  I got yanked out via a winch and the front toe
eye.

  Yes Duane is right the MXX3 is not a good cold weather tire.

There was minimal damage to the underside of my car.  Once I got back on the
road I put chains on before entering the tire chain area.  What a PITA!!!!
Cold fingers and getting down on slush to put chains on is NO FUN.  Fortunan
tely the chains did not rub the fenders, but if you're car is lowered they
probably will.

Lesson here: get the right tool for the job.  If my M3 ever goes to Lake
Taho in winter, they will have a set of snows mounted on my track wheels.

JL