Swappin' Cars

>I understand your concern, kinda.  We're talking bout a 1-2 shift on an
>autocrass course ain't we?  But if you switched, you would be driving his
>car.  So he may have the same concern (but he doesn't).  And no, I'm not
>putting a nickle up.   Your idea about determining the best driver is a good
>one--just trying to help.

Chris,

Well, here at NCC we see third gear at many (most) of our autocrosses.  We
use BIG lots.  Plus my car has an AC Schnitzer Short Shift Kit in it (Cindy
Crawford), a LTW Flywheel (rev happy) and massive suspension changes which
make it abruptly oversteer when its club-fisted around (read: used to cars
that understeer).  I do on occasion let others drive it, but only the
better drivers and those that are my close friends.

I do this not because I'm stingy with the car or being a snot, but based on
historical observations, in which I've seen MY car spun on (4) different
occasions at autocrosses and over-revved on (3) different occasions by
folks whom I've let drive the car.  It's a car-survival thing.

Now....for the shootout...here's a BETTER idea.  I'll bring my '98 4 cyl. /
5 spd Chevy S-10 Pickup (tail happy little critter that it is) on skinney
all season tires and we'll drive THAT for the case of beer, back to back.
You can't hurt it and its fun as hell to autocross. Did fun runs in it at
PizzaFest II with Brett A. in the passenger seat and shamed a few ///M
drivers on their times <g>.

Duane Collie

End of bmw-digest V9 #680