<E30> Need education on differentials. (Brett?)

Well, the noise in the differential on my E30 325iCA was diagnosed as a
"pinion bearing". Sounds like the input bearing at the end of the shaft?
The car only has 35Kmiles, bought with 28kmiles, noise was already there.
My options are changing the bearing (how hard is that?) or getting a used
diff.
Mine is an open diff. So, the questions:
- - What differentials were available on E30?
- - Any difference between automatic and manual cars?
- - What benefit would limited-slip diff have on street-only car, if any?
- - Does anyone have a diff they're willing to sell cheap? Ideas on pricing?
Thanks. Mike.S

'92 E30 325iC, BMWCCA #159367
http://www.gis.net/~mikest