Re: E36 M3 shift detent kit?

Geoffrey:
You have combined 2 issues together in your question. the service Bulletin has
nothing to do with missed shifts.
It addresses shift detents that were too soft in some early M3s. The softness
of the metal caused it to wear prematurely, allowing the mechanism to "catch"
on the detent. This made shifting difficult, usually in third gear. My car was
one of the first to develop the problem, and at that time they just replaced
the tranny. Later, I believe, they shipped a detent kit to the dealer instead
of doing an entire replacement.

If you are having trouble getting your shift lever more than halfway in gear,
then it could be the detents. You will feel a definite "ridge" halfway between
neutral and the gear.

If you are worried about mis-shifts just order Bob Bondurant's book from
Classic motorbooks and read up on how to shift. It's not the car.

Scott Adare
Spokane, WA
'95 M3

 << From: "Geoffery Kao"

 Hey guys, does any of you early production E36 M3 owners know which
 service bulletin addresses the shift detent kit that helps in preventing
 mis-shifts?   >>