740iL Chip with new Engine

>Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:11:29 EST
>From: Cookies@domain.elided
>Subject: Re: bmw-digest V9 #638

>In a message dated 12/5/98 10:52:54 AM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
>digest@domain.elided writes:

><< From: The Donahues <m3@domain.elided>
> Subject: Replacing engine (again)

> Another thought about replacing my 4.0 engine. The dealer originally
> replace the ECU with a special chip to reduce engine performance and
> help with the sulpher problem. When they replace the engine, will they
> replace the chip also?

> Mike >>

>~~~` Mike-danger- don't ASSUME. Make sure they reprogram or put back the
>correct chip.

Mike,  Cookies, misspoke on his advise. The OLD Eprom is the fast and dirty
fix that BMW applied to the 7's when the problems with the sloughing of the
side walls started to appear.

The thought was that by changing the timing and the thermostat to run the
peak temp higher, they could sublimate the Sulfer. Obviously it didn't work
in your case.

So go with the dealer applied Eprom with the most recent updates.

- -Kevin