<WOB> 316td jokes

>Lifted off the BMW web site are the specs for a 318 tds, closest I can
find:

>Engine: 4 Cyl - 8 Valve
>Capacity: 1665cc
>Wheels : 6J x 15 Steel
>Performance: 0-62 mph, 13.9 secs
>Max. Speed: 109 mph

>But ya know...it ain't the car....its the driver.

Duane,

While you might be making fun of diesel powered cars, here are some figures:

If you lived in Germany, filling up your Bambi Slayer  with high octane fuel
(roughly 65 l) would cost you around 135 DM ($80).  Ouch...  How often do
you fuel up?  Every week?  That's about $320 a month on fuel.  Diesel fuel
is dramatically less expensive in Germany (usually about 30% cheaper) so
filling up a 316td would only run about $56 and because of smaller
displacement and better diesel fuel economy (mileage) you would only have to
fuel it up twice a month.  Big difference, eh?   Fuel prices in France
(where I lived in 1996) are even higher than in Germany.  Now imagine road
trips...

So that's why you see so many diesel powered cars in Europe.  I even rented
a diesel powered Renault Laguna for 6 months (no turbo) just a plain 2.0
diesel that got me around all over Europe (Paris to Barcelona to Niece to
Monte Carlo back to Paris in one long weekend)  Since I was paying for fuel
out of my own pocket on that trip I was sure glad to have a  diesel.  I'm
not even gonna go into how much I paid for toll highways that weekend
(something like $250).  Big OUCH...

Obligatory BMW content: I also rented an E36 316i once and drove it from
Frankfurt to Paris averaging 95 mph.  The power was sufficient for daily
traffic driving, but very inadequate for Autobahn driving.   Still, a fun
car.

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536