Re: DuraLube and ProLong

: Okay, we've all seen these comercials on TV that show engines running without
: oil, covered with liquid Nitrogen, sand in the head, etc etc etc.  Each time
: the engines come out running perfectly fine with just a simple dose of the
: additives.  Do these products REALLY work? Any chemists out there care to
: enlighten us?? I'd like to run similar tests myself but I don't feel like
: using my engine as a guinea pig.

OK, this is what I have heard. Yes these thing do work. BUT noone knows what the
long term affects would be to your engine. What do I mean?

Ever notice that they show you engine to taken apart to show the lack of wear?

Well the racers use it. Yeah, and what do they do after ever race. That's right
take apart the engine and rebuild it!

I think I'll stick with changing my oil when half my light are out (~4500)
miles.

I KNOW keeping fresh oil in my engine will help.

That said there are some additives I use preventively..

- - Techron the pure stuff not the blends, every now and then (say 5-10K)
- - Redline fuel additive (has a BMW part number) and comes in large and nice
  single use sizes (see www.ogracing.com), every couple of months and before
  autocrosses, for that little extra boost ;) What's the difference between this
  and techron. Beats me. Probably very similar.
- - Any BG product. High pressure concentrate for oil. They also make an additive
  that contains zinc (one of the few additive that might do something, according
  to the faq). I also just got a can of 44K (something like that), this is
  another techron type thing, i.e. varnish remover.

About the 44 stuff a fellow at MDay said on an older car he use to disconnect
some sort of vacuum line and suck the stuff of the can directly onto the values
and let it sit for a couple of hours/overnight then start the car. Said it
worked real well. Does anyone know how to do this with a BMW?

 Stephen Lafredo - 3.2 M3             email: slafredo@domain.elided

 BMW CCA DVC, NCC and NJC