Re: 325ix Questions?

John writes:

>If my memory serves me correctly, they were only built in the late '80s.
>What years were they built and what is the price range for one in fairly
>nice condition?  I am looking for a daily commuter and winter Tahoe runner.
> Are there problems inherent to the 4wd?
>
>Thanks

they were built from 1986-1991 and imported to the US from 88-91.  the AWD
system is quite good and has no inherent problem areas.  there are a few
things to watch out for.  as with any E30 make sure that the timing belt has
been recently replaced (within 50k) or do it right away.  iX specific, have
it inspected and make sure that they pull the front 1/2 shafts and check for
spline wear and proper greasing.  if they are not greased properly the
splines can prematurely wear causing big $$$ damage.  check out the iX FAQ
page @ http://www.bmwcca.org/misc/iXfaq.htm .  this place contains alot of
info on the iX and will lead you to gordon haines, the iX registry
coordinator.  he can answer a lot more questions than i can!  hope this
helps!

regards,

jack money
motor city chapter