Air Flow Meters for 95 M3: Euro or 540I Unit?

Does anybody have any experience with using a mass air unit from a 540
(also a 3.5" bore?) rather than the euro mass air unit which is
definately a 3.5" bore.  Was wondering if the two units were identical
and is the purchase of the adapter kit (Turner M.S.) necessary to reduce
the size down for connection to the intake manifold??  Any other ways to
make this connection...My intent is to configure the K&N cone down by
the horns, use the 540 mass air with the J.C. chip configured for high
airflow.  Any feedback would be appreciated.