Re: Snap-On Tool Raffle

>Hmm...   50x100 = 5000.  So you're basically saying that even though your
>Snap-On buddy will be getting $5,000 and giving away $6,500 worth of
>inventory he will still be making a profit?  What's the markup on those
>tools?  More than 30%?  It would have to be just to break even...  Or is it
>that he needs to boost his sales before the end of the year?  Inquiring mind
>wants to know... And yes, I am interested  :)
>
>Rob Mudry
>'96 328is

Hey Rob,

Well - this is kinda a complex story, but since you asked - here goes.  My
buddy Dave bought a 'commemerative' Snap-On Tool Box for his truck back in
August as a display/inventory model.  He kept it on the truck to sell to a
mechanic or whatever. Only problem was, he bought a special edition Snap-On
'REDSKINS' Football toolbox complete with helmet motif on the box. It was
butt-ugly AND the Redskins got skunked this fall as you know. So the box
lingered on the truck and everyone thought it the big joke (I mercilessly
made fun of it every week).  It was obvious this thing was NOT gonna sell,
so the raffle was developed to get rid of it.  Retail on the box was $
6,800.00 and he had something like $ 4,800.00 into it after freight
charges.  So.... 100 tickets x $ 50.00 and he was slightly over the break
even point. Hey, for $ 50 I can even live with a cruddy looking toolbox and
I can stick a Roundel (!!TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT!!) over that horrid
Redskins helmet if I win.

Last week however, he got a sucker and sold the REDSKINS box. He had about
50 guys out of 100 signed up for the raffle.  Rather than refund everyone,
he decided to make it open ended and offer $ 6,500.00 of
tools/boxes/lifts/welders.....whatever....which is actually a better deal
'cause now if you win you can get a decent looking toolbox or a hydralic
lift and a whole bunch of airtools instead, etc. Margins vary on Snap-On
tools but most are 30% G.P.M. for what its worth. He'll make some money on
the deal, but not much.

I'm getting LOTS of e-mail on this - so this is the way its gonna work is
this: There's a grid 10 squares wide by 10 squares deep on his truck.  You
pay your $ 50 and write your name in a grid. Before Super Bowl Sunday and
once the Board is full, numbers 0 through 9 will be randomly assigned out
of sequence to both grids, each representing a team.  So you'll have say...
2, 4, 1, 9, 7, 0, 6, 5, 3, 8 across one grid and similar on the other.
Whatever the final score is on Superbowl Sunday, take the last digit from
each team's score and match the grids.  So if you have the final score
say.... 31 (team A) to 14 (team B), then you would go on the 'A team' grid
to "1" and the 'B team' grid to "4" and that person is the winner.  Because
the numbers are assigned randomly, the odds for all the squares are equal.

Those of you that want to play will make a check out to Dave for $ 50 per
position, send it to me, and I'll hand it to him.  You'll be responsible
for freight charges on the tools if you win and cannot pick them up in
Northern Virginia. I'll take a digital photo of the board and send it out
via e-mail to those participating in the raffle once the numbers are
assigned, so you see where you're at on and what your numbers will be
before the game.

I've got no financial interest in this and have bought a single spot
myself.  I just think its a neat deal for a $ 50 chance and 1 in 100 odds.
Way better odds than the O'Fest BMW's giveaways from CCA!

There are about 40 slots left.....BTW.  When it's full, its full!

Duane Collie