Re: OK Corral Shootout, new kid in town

In a message dated 12/8/98 9:29:54 PM Central Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

>  Hmmm... just for kicks, I looked up the Oktoberfest results in the
>  November Roundel for for the fastest run of each model:
>
>  Autocross
>  Mark Sipe  '95 M3     54.369
>  T.C. Kline '96 Z3 1.9 55.866
>
>  Slalom
>  T.C. Kline '96 Z3 1.9 21.049
>  Mark Sipe  '95 M3     21.344
>
>  Two excellent drivers, two undoubtedly well prepared cars... and closer
>  than many people would expect. Looks pretty course dependent. So who's
>  going to offer to buy the course designer dinner?

Two factors to consider: TC's Z3 was highly modified, but hindered by Yok
A032R's while I had superior Hoosier radials on an SCCA Stock-legal chassis.
Had TC been on good rubber he'd have cleaned my clock.  I simply out-gripped
him on the sandy and gravelly autox course.  Where he beat me on the slalom
was the pivot cone turn around that was hemmed in by a tight entrance/exit
gate; the Z3 is *way* superior to the M3 in tight maneuvers.

Watch for my new 2.8 Z3 coupe at the '99 O-fest; you ain't seen nothing yet!
It is the best autox vehicle I have *ever* driven, and it's still in factory-
supplied form.  For any M3 owners out there, let me simply say....

.....be afraid, be *extremely* afraid   :-)

Mark Sipe
Team Z3