<E36 M3> Replacement Tires - AVS-I sizing problems

I thought someone else would have already addressed this by now, but I
haven't seen it, so here's my .02 on the subject.

If the '97 M3 in question has traction control, it is important that the front
and rear tires be of the same, or nearly the same diameter.  If the fronts
and rears differ by more than (something like) 1%, the traction control
computer can read the rotational speed differences as a loss of traction
and will then try to correct by reducing the power, or whatever else the
traction control does on those cars.  I'm pretty sure you don't want this.

You can use the same size tires on both ends, even though the wheels
are different widths.  Just make sure to use a width that the tire
manufacturer says is OK to put on both a 7.5 inch rim and an 8.5 inch
rim.

Also, FWIW, the Yoko AVS-i is an old design that is not really up to the
performance levels that most M3 drivers expect.  It is, however, one of
the best tires you can buy in a 60-series or 65-series aspect ratio, for
you non-E36-M3 owners out there.

As far as the price of the MXX3s and the P-Zeros, welcome to the wild
wacky wonderful - and EXPENSIVE - world of 17 inch performance tires!
 You're just lucky you got 25K miles out of the original tires!

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977

End of bmw-digest V9 #659