(E30) engine trouble. need help

i have a 325e, '85, fresh engine, ran great for about two weeks before it
died. it slowly began to lose acceleration until finally the car would not
put up with any throttle at all. so now the car starts and runs, but idles
very poorly and if there is any attempt to give it throttle it falls on its
face and nearly stalls. well this is not entirely true because if you are
very careful to give it the smallest amount of throttle the engine actually
smooths out and revs to about 2000 rpm, in first, but that is its limit,
nothing more. so im not sure where to begin with my diagnostics. if i had to
guess it seems the engine is overfueled when more throttle is introduced. so
i was just wondering/hoping someone had had a similar problem and could give
me a good lead, otherwise i will start from the basics and work my way to
the ECU. oh, and this probem first showed its ugly face at warm conditions
so i do not think any of the cold start controls are at fault. well, any
help would be appreciated.

thanks,

erik