magnetic snake oil?

In 1996, I heard ads on the Art Bell Coast to Coast show (back when I
was stayin' up for 24 hours at a time doing my Industrial Design
projects) for a similar item called the "GMX Magnetic Fluid
Conditioners". I called the distributor (R & L Enterprises) for the free
brochure (and I still have it).
It says that they are "super high-powered ceramic magnets" and it that
they were originally created for NASA's Space Program.

With the brochure, I also got a copy of a report from the National
Technical Information Service, U.S. Department of Commerce, from 1973,
and a reference to a specific physics book, down to the exact page, to
find the foundational theory behind magnetic fluid conditioning.
These things ranged in price, then, from $125 to $500 each, and they
look exactly like the ones at that free virgin web site.

I'll admit that most of this goes right over MY head, but if you can
understand the technical jiggery pokery, then GMX's web site is:
http://rmii.com/~gmxmag

- ----BEGINNING OF DISCLAIMER----
I have no connection with the distributor, or manufacturer (however, I
do have respect for the guy (Larry Brown) from R&L Enterprises, because
he was nice, and sent the packet anyhow, even though I told him that I
wasn't going to order one (I was just curious about the process /
theory)). I'm not even a client, or customer.
- ----END OF DISCLAIMER----

OBMWC:I never planned to install one on my BMW.

________

Subject: Snake oil?

Check out http://freespace.virgin.net/s.pike/cars.htm

________
- --
Do Svedanya!
'91 318is --quick, sporty, good lookin'
'85 318i --well, a least it's good lookin'
Neil & Kim Hitze
Valleyview State Home
     for the
 Incurably Artistic

"..HO!! HO!! HO!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!..."--some old, fat guy who plays in
the snow with fairies

End of bmw-digest V9 #654