Audi vs. BMW

>  From: David Beatty <dbeatty@domain.elided>
>  Subject: audi v bmw

>  as I recall, the a4 and the 328 if comparably equipped would have come
>  in at nearly $10k apart.  While informative, I found it to be a stupid
>  comparison.  Should have compared to the 323.  Notably, as I recall
>  (read it a month ago), the a4 was VERY close in the overall points tally
>  to the 328, far from getting its "butt kicked".  If tested by the same
>  editors, there's no doubt the a4 would beat the 323.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that C&D compared the E46 328 to the Audi
A4 2.8, and the BMW won.  The $10k price difference would be between the A4
1.8t and the 328, I believe.  Unfortunately I don't have that C&D here with
me, so I can't say for sure.

A comparison of the 323 would then go to the comparibly priced A4 1.8t, and I
don't think an Audi victory is a given, to say the least.

I've driven the A4 1.8t, from CT to the Canadian border, and it was
uninspiring to say the least.  A beautiful looking, well put together car,
probably awesome with Gary's mods, but not impressive in stock form.
Something over 8 seconds to 60?  Yawn.  Of course I wouldn't race out and buy
a 323 either, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Regards,

Tim Leithead
'95 M3, resting