<All> Crankshaft nut

Brett Says
- ----------------------
Due to the clearance problem created by the radiator, it is difficult to
use an impact gun.
I have a thick walled 36 mm socket, 3/4 inch drive. I use a 48 inch
breaker bar, and even then it usually takes two big guys leaning on that
breaker bar to crack the nut loose.
BMW has a special tool that bolts where the pulley goes, to prevent the
crankshaft from turning. It is made of 1/4 inch (7mm) thick steel and
usually gets twisted like a pretzel from the force required to remove
this nut.
My stupid question of the month is.  Couldn't you just put the car in gear,
put the parking brake on and lower it off the jackstands back onto the
ground to remove the nut.  I would think that would keep the crankshaft from
turning to loosen the nut.  I'm sure that I"m missing something though.

- --David,
boydd@domain.elided

They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee, ho ho.