E30 Shake rattle and roll

     With regard to your inquiry about vibration, I too have an
     '86 325es. I recently had mine in the shop for a potential
     clutch replacement evaluation. In the process of driving my
     car back to his shop (he came to my work and picked it up!)
     he noticed the vibration. There is a vibration damper down
     by the transmission near the gebo. This little puppy is coated
     with somekind of rubbery stuff that over time dries, cracks,
     and plain 'ol fall off, thus creating the vibration. Maximillian
     Imports sells 'em at about $110. Mine is getting for this as well
     as clutch, rear main, tranny seals, exhaust seals, shift tower
     bushings, short shift mod with new shift boot and shift mod. I'll
     let you know how it all turns out.
     David Simmons
     Eureka, Ca.