<E28/M20> spun/blewup rear main bearing BA

>Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 01:15:34 -0600
>From: Steve Hodson <skhodson@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E28/M20> spun/blewup rear main bearing

Tough break. Not something that is seen very often.

>Questions:
>Best route for me?

Best route is up to your finances, sell as is or fix and continue to
drive. Only you can make that decision.

Probably around $1500,   Try www.zionsvilleautosport.com

>2: How much could I get a new    "         "       " ?

About $4000 if I remember right.

>3: Can I 'just' drop in a 535xx engine in same car?

Into the car, yes, but you need more than the engine.

>4: Should I?

No

>5: If so, tranny and rear end mods needed? (5 speed with s3.25 diff
currently)

Trans would have to be replaced, possibly driveshaft. Diff is ok.  You
also need wiring and engine control unit.

>6: Have the Bentley, the Digest and The Bubbas, but I am a DIY'er, and
most
>experience in old American cars and such. (I am a trained mechanic
though)
>SO....
>7: Can I replace all this myself (with your help(s)?)

Yes.

>8: How much can I buy a cherry picker and a engine stand for?

Don't buy, rent.

>What is it WORTH in this condition, with a blown bottom end?

If it is as clean as you say, with the stereo and such, maybe as much as
$4000

>Keep it or part it out to you guys?

Keep it, or sell it to me for $500 ;-)

You can source an engine from any E30 325i, 528e or E34 525i M20.
Better off going with 88 or later as there were some internal
differences. Externally, they are pretty much identical.

>Steve Hodson/1988 E28 M20

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you