Re: ICV (E28, et. al.)

<sniped from V#619>
Been seeing some posts where owners have been cleaning the ICV to
stabilize an erratic idle.  Saw a FAQ on idle not too long ago (forgot
from
what site, sorry) that says to NEVER clean the ICV...something about
screwing up the calibration with the ICU.

Any opinions on this?

Cary
<end snip>

Ah, the great debate.  "To clean or not to clean....that is the
question".   The FAQ you read was someone's experience and opinion.  Is
it wisdom?  Not always.  Mess up the calibration?  I really don't think
so.  It may have ruined an already bad unit but not the cal.  I've had
*many* successful ICV cleanings that make a worthless unit work.  This is
what I do:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do" by using a Q tip with carb
cleaner or alcohol on it.  Don't drown the ICV with cleaner but just take
care of the skanky part that you can see.  If that doesn't make it work
well then bite the bullet and buy one.  I nursed one on my 325 for a year
and then replaced it when the damn thing *finally* died.

Curt Kiser
BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
85' 535i - Sharked with R1's shoes to go dancing in at the track
86' 325 - Wife's 4-door