<E28/M20> spun/blewup rear main bearing

So, so sad. My lovely, 1988 pristine Delphin gray 528e died tonight at
125,950k. No warning, no lights, cleaned and waxed, just going for a drive.
Pulled out of a deli, nice and easy, hit second, let out the clutch then it
SOUNDED like I ran over a STEEL mountain bike with RoboCop on it, dropped
my tranny and diff at the same time, with all the sounds and vibrations
that you could associated with such horrific, terrifying events.
Analysis: Spun or blew up the rear main bearing, thus popping the rear
seal. Possibility busting a connecting rod and popping a hole in some
internal cooling compartment, as I lost all the oil and coolant in about 3
minutes. 80 mile AAA+ (free) tow to local dealership. (now must come home
to garage as it is not a insurance issue.)
Questions:
I owe about $5,000 on the car. I can't afford to "just fix it" right now.
Best route for me? I can't even afford to have the dealer tell me what is
really wrong. (not @ $75/hr)
1: How much could I get a used 528e engine for?
2: How much could I get a new    "         "       " ?
3: Can I 'just' drop in a 535xx engine in same car?
4: Should I?
5: If so, tranny and rear end mods needed? (5 speed with s3.25 diff currently)
6: Have the Bentley, the Digest and The Bubbas, but I am a DIY'er, and most
experience in old American cars and such. (I am a trained mechanic though)
SO....
7: Can I replace all this myself (with your help(s)?)
8: How much can I buy a cherry picker and a engine stand for?
9: I'll buy an '84 Escort if needed, but I HAVE to keep this car, as it is
lovely. I want to build a "sleeper", and if that requires lots of stuff
over a long period, fine. ie, shocks, struts, motor mounts, bigger
radiator, electrical, yadda yadda yadda... (I don't know what might be
needed: that's why I'm here my friends...)

I have $3,000 into a sound system, just put new pads all the way around it
(Damm Bimmer dust!) Has a new starter, C-Pillar exterior covers and painted
to match, stock everything else. No dings, a chip and a scratch here and
there, could use a new windshield, blue interior, pristine as well. What is
it WORTH in this condition, with a blown bottom end? Keep it or part it out
to you guys? Insurance and registration comes off on Monday...

So, so sad...
- -
Steve Hodson/1988 E28 M20
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/1494/pristine.html
   ______
 (oo=00=oo)  [image stolen]

"Aunt Em: Hate You. Hate Kansas. Taking the Dog. Dorothy"