Re: E28 crankshaft nut...HELP!! BA

>Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 17:36:51 +1100
>From: buzzard@domain.elided
>Subject: E28 crankshaft nut...HELP!!
>
>Once again I turn to the list for help. I have to remove the timing
cover
>from my E28 528i...... how are you supposed to remove the crankshaft
nut? I
>would greatly appreciate any advice you guys (and gals !) may have.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Darryl Carthew
>Sydney, Australia

Due to the clearance problem created by the radiator, it is difficult to
use an impact gun.
I have a thick walled 36 mm socket, 3/4 inch drive. I use a 48 inch
breaker bar, and even then it usually takes two big guys leaning on that
breaker bar to crack the nut loose.
BMW has a special tool that bolts where the pulley goes, to prevent the
crankshaft from turning. It is made of 1/4 inch (7mm) thick steel and
usually gets twisted like a pretzel from the force required to remove
this nut.

Basically mate, you're gonna have a whole shitload of fun trying to get
it off at home.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you