Re: Help my dad!

K.C. Boyce wrote:

> So here's my dilemma:  My father is going to be leasing a new car
> within the next month or so.  I (of course) am pushing him heavily
> towards a new 323i.
>
> He likes cars with a "sporty" ride (his current car is a Bonneville
> SLE, if that helps), but considers cars merely transportation from
> Point A to Point B.  He's also a big Pontiac fan, and really wants to
> buy a GM product (due to GM Card rebate points).
>
> So, how can I sell him on a Bimmer?  Methinks I need a better argument

> than "it handles really well and feels great to drive."  Any help in
> converting my dad would be greatly appreciated!

While you might be able to talking him into a BMW, you'll have a more
difficult time convincing him that he likes it. And if he doesn't, who's
he gonna blame? Not that he _would_ do that, I don't even know him, but
IMHO, he doesn't sound like much of a gear head.

In 1979 (I was into VWs then) my sister asked for my advice buying a
car. She wanted a Fiat Strada; I advised her to get a Toyota. Three
years later (I was into BMWs by then) she got rid of the Fiat P.O.S. and
got a Toyota. After driving that for a few years she wanted an upgrade.
Nothing wrong with the Toyota, she just wanted something new. She got
another Toyota that went for 12 years before needing a new trans. This
year, she (now married) and her husband traded it in for a Honda. They
love it. They're not gear heads, like your Dad IMHO. I never tried to
talk her into a BMW because she wouldn't care about the differences,
except on her monthly payment. While writing that check I'm sure she'd
think of me, but probably not good thoughts.

You'd be better off helping him find the type of car (GM) that he
already knows and seems to want. Just make sure he gets the extended
warranty, but then lots of BMW owners do that too. Or tell him to get a
Toyota (or a Honda). If he likes "sporty" cars, they both make some nice
coupes these days. He won't need the extended warranty, and he'll know
how smart his son is.

Evan  '87 325, BMW CCA, HMFWIC
flame suit on