Re: <E28> Pressure Regulator Leak

Danny Taylor had some questions about a leak around his regulator.

I just went thru a leak problem with my E28 M5...and the leak was definitely
the brake accumulator pressure switch on the side of the regulator...this
switch IS NOT interchangable with the high pressure switch on top of the
regulator...the threads are entirely different(one larger diameter than the
other).

It concerns me that your leak is so quick to accumulate on the floor of the
garage...may have a worse leak than merely the switches...check all the
hydraulic line connnections...the fluid is ATF right (red)...and not brake
fluid?

As someone else responded, the brake bomb going bad will produce a "stiff"
pedal and the brake warning light will light up intermittenly...if a switch is
bad the light will most likely stay on.  The bomb can leak also and still be
functioning I suppose...this would definitely cause more of a leak than the
switches.

I recommend cleaning the entire area real thoroughly by wiping down everything
and watching for the leak.  The area needs to be clean anyway if you open up
the system...dirt in the ATF will likely be fatal to the system operation.

Both switches can be replaced for about $45, including shipping from Bavarian
Autosport...other similar sources I'm sure.

Good luck,

John Weese
BMW CCA#76646
'73 2002tii