Re: Radar Jammers

Elysium (wonchung@domain.elided) said:

>I found out one brand, which is "Advanced Radar Components, Inc. of
>California.  Has anyone experienced this brand?

>Moreover, what is the "Active unit"?

>I know there is Rocky Mountain brand one. However, I heard many skeptical
>experiences.

I am not aware of Advance Radar Components, but basically there are two types
of "jammers" active and passive. Active jammers were outlawed in most if not
all states to my knowledge. They are quite effective and quite illegal. The
passive jammers are much less effective. I am aware of Rocky Mountain
products, and have had no direct experience with them. I do however want to
point out one flaw that may prevent digest members from using Rocky Mountain.

They provide a "ticket guarantee" which is supposed to pay for any speeding
tickets that you receive for a maximum of one year with the jammer. IMHO the
warranty is a complete joke. It is entirely void if you are speeding more than
15mph over the limit. So they are so confident about their product they won't
back it up when it counts. Also it is not valid in all 50 states, you have to
prove that you were using it, and I believe there are a few other steps as
well. Rocky Mountain seems to be playing the odds that Cops won't pull someone
over doing less than 15, and they won't cover more than 15. I would invest
your money into lottery tickets to pay for your bail instead. It is a better
investment.

David Koretz
'93 325i with a radar detector that's not plugged in