Re:E30 M3 sudden oil leak

John,
I also agree with Jefrem's comment that the leak could be coming from
somewhere else.  I was faced with the same problem a couple of months ago
with my E21.  I checked the usual place including the oil pressure switch
and the distributor mounting case.  First I thought was the distributor
mounting case and I changed the gasket.  After doing that and have the
surrounding area all cleaned up, I found out it was actually coming out from
the distributor shaft and oil found its way down the side.  I fixed the
problem by replacing the o-ring on the distributor shaft.  I am not sure
whether this applies to your E30.  Try clean up the area and above as good
as you can and try to locate where it is coming from.  Good luck.

Vince