BMW defect registry

This is my last post re the overrev stuff, and it has a point.  From
private emails, I've gotten the following opinions/postulates as to why
overrev occurred in the m3:
1.  plain old operator error;
2.  softer bushings were used to reduce noise and vibration, these
bushings allow gearbox misalignment under extreme load;
3.  combination of 1 and 2.

It has also been suggested that only the early/mid 95's have softer
bushings.
If the problem (if any) was fixed in all but the early 95's, probably
nothing will ever come of it.  please, no responses on this subject.

the reason I was interested in the thread is a concern over the divide
and conquer dilemma.  When my wife and I list problems we had with our
Jeep (admittedly a long and varied list), someone invariably says they
or a close friend had the same problem with their Jeep grd cher v8.
Usually, the dealer told them (as they did us, with the exception of the
lame brakes) that they've never seen a jeep with the problem before, and
sometimes the dealer would accuse them of causing the problem (e.g.,
"when you jump started the car you probably caused the power window
malfunction...").  I imagine this is a particular problem in the case of
sports cars (see, e.g., the rx-7 lemon web site, extensive report).  By
the way, no snide remarks about buying the jeep in the first place, our
4runner can't carry a candle to the jeeps tow power.

If I had a misshift, I would never think to blame the car.  However, in
view of reports in the auto press and word of mouth, I would consider it
now.  perhaps that's not a good thing because perhaps there really is
nothing inordinately wrong with the car.  On the other hand, if I, armed
with the knowledge of multiple incidents, complain to bmw and they have
knowledge of many more incidents and the existence of a real problem,
then maybe they'll make good.

I'm similarly concerned about the pop out of gear reports.  I think 4 or
5 listers on the e36 m3 list yesterday reported problems with popping
out of 2nd or 3rd gear, varying mileage.  Several had gotten new
trannies under warranty.  On the other hand, a guy on the bmw list
reported a dealer who played stupid when he asked about testing for the
nikasil problem - until he confronted the dealer with info from the
list.  you can probably think of similar occurrences.

My point?  I'd like to see a registry of bmw related problems and
products.  Could be a simple listing of owners who have had each kind of
problem who would be willing to share their findings and experiences
with those who encounter the problem.  Similar listing for products
(e.g., MechTech turbo kit) would be helpful.  Bruce has one for the //M
roadster (http://www2.txcyber.com/~gobuffs/MyM/Mowners.html), perhaps
there are others I am missing?

Such a resource would serve 2 purposes:  (1) ammunition to coerce the
dealer to make the repair, saving you and him time and discord; and (2)
a means for determining if you really are the only one who's had the
"problem", in which case maybe you're being anal or you're the cause.

I'm particularly concerned about cars which may be under warranty since
this is where this information is likely to be most useful.  Also, I've
found that the FAQs tend to be less up to date for newer cars.

David D. Beatty
99 //m roadster