<E28> Need Speaker recommendations

Good morning! I have searched my files for information on speaker
upgrades to my '86 535i and I don't seem to find any. I would like to
ask any long term owner of an E28 who has made changes to his factory
speaker selection to give me the benefit of his experiences.
I have the tweeters in the door post assembly, smaller units in the
front foorwells , and shelf speakers with angled tweeters in the back.
They are stock BMW, and they say ITT I believe. They seem to have a
resistor (probably a cross-over) and another wire 'coil' built into
them. I'm concerned about replacing these units with speakers that don't
have these items included. What are these items on the speakers, and
what recommendations does anyone have for a drop-in replacement? I have
a Sony CD in-dash receiver, 4x12.5 with what appears to be the stock BMW
amp in the trunk under the window shelf.
In the back, the stock shelf units hold two speakers each; a tweeter
apparently, and a midrange. Should I attempt to replace the units in the
boxes, or is there a recommendation to replace the entire unit with say
a 6 by 9 unit?? Any recommendations?
Any help with this audio system would be a help. I just want clean sound
and a bit more bass. I mostly listen to bop and jazz, but I like it
loud... oh... and the big guy occasionally!
email me direct if you would please unless the information I seek is
already public knowledge..

Rick Viehdorfer
BMW CCA #148171

End of bmw-digest V9 #631