Re: Sway Bar reattached. Improvement in ride. Real or imagined?

- ---Neil Deshpande <Ndeshp@domain.elided> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the contribution to wheel springing is from
the >sway bar when only one wheel is being deflected as compared to
that >from the springs themselves?  I would like to know how much it
>increases stiffness  by.

My opinion follows:

I don't know the specific answer and I haven't run my car without a
sway bar attached (nor with only one side attached), but...

My Dinan bars are adjustable and the difference between full soft and
full stiff is immediately noticable when the wheels hit bumps (without
turning a corner).  I can drive over a speed bump and can tell where
my bars are set.  You have to figure that part of the overall
suspension's ride is determined by swaybars.

I think your car (or my car, or any car for that matter) will exhibit
"wierd" handling characteristics with only one side attached.  I don't
know what the overall stiffness difference would be when only one side
is attached, but I would guess that it would be like running a stiff
shock on one side and a soft shock on the other.

Andy Peavy
91 535i
email: apeavy@domain.elided