Sway Bar reattached. Improvement in ride. Real or imagined?

The clanging in the back of my 1989 325 iC was silenced yesterday when I =
reattached the rear sway bar link to the rear sway bar.  The link is =
aluminium and has a rubber bushing at the sway bar end and a rubber =
bushing with a steel insert at the other end that holds a bold.

The ride seems to have improved noticably when going over bumps.  Is this =
real or imagined?  Could anyone let me know if they have experience a =
similar thing.  I cannot believe the sway bar made such a difference when =
going over bumps.  I know it matters for turning and cornering and that it =
would act for one wheel activity, but to make such a difference.

Does anyone know what the contribution to wheel springing is from the sway =
bar when only one wheel is being deflected as compared to that from the =
springs themselves?  I would like to know how much it increases stiffness  =
by.

Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 is