[E28]Throttle Position Switch

    I have an '84 528e, and after the car has been driven long enough to
warm up, after sitting 2-3 mins. at a traffic light, I am treated to a
nice jerk, and often times, the black puff of smoke.  This extremely
rich odor is emitted from the exhaust.  It misses when I get down on the
gas pedal, yet all of this happens intermittently.

1) Does anyone know the symptoms of an either bad (or going bad)
throttle position switch?  Or point me to a FAQ!

2) Same question for the AFM?