<02>Re: 2002 Electronic Ignition Upgrades

Hi Mohammed,

I have the Crane XR3000 unit with an optical trigger, and a Crane PS91
coil.  I literally haven't touched it since installing it 1.5 years and
15k miles ago (I probably shouldn't say that too loud :=)).  It works
flawlessly.  I got mine from Jeff Ireland, although there are other
sources (I like to use Jeff since I get advice for free, and they actually
use 02's).

There are some out there who prefer points+condenser+blue coil, and had
excellent results with such as far as reliability is concerned (truth be
known, I keep a set of points and a condenser in my toolbox "just in case"
).  There are people out there who will say that the optical triggers can
get dirty and misfire, but I have not seen that happen.  I really like the
"fewer moving parts" approach of the optical trigger.

I noticed that I had a smoother idle after the swap, and can run up to 8k
RPM (race motor, modified valvetrain) with no problem (haven't gone
higher).  It is my understanding that the stock points tend to bounce
above 6.5K RPM, so racers preferring points use a version spec'd for some
Porsche application -- I don't know which.  I believe Michel Potheau has
significant knowledge in this area, so he may be a good resource for
anybody interested in that (actually, I've found him to be a good
resource for just about everything to do with BMWs, and 02's in
particular).

Since my system has given me nothing but smiles, I have had no reason to
seek alternatives.

As usual, as with anything with 02's, YMMV.  Good luck!.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i