E28 Gauges

Shawn asks about E28 gauges:

I have a 88 535i and want to add some VDO gauges.  I know that there is a
upgrade that someone makes that replaces the ash tray with three spots for
gauges.  I have heard that it is cheaper to purchase the gauges and the
panel separately.  Where is the best place to purchase these items.  Does
anyone have any estimates as to the cost of these items.  I would like to
install oil presser, volt meter, and amp meter or oil temp.  Any suggestions
would be great.  Thanks in advance.
Shawn Johnson

Shawn,

Bill Yates m5yates@domain.elided <mailto:m5yates@domain.elided>  sells a carbon
fiber three-gauge panel that fits in the ashtray area of the E28 (no
affiliation, etc.)   I have purchased one, which looks very nice, but have
not yet installed it (house purchase sort of got in the way...)  Panel fits
perfectly in the space, but requires removal of the lighter.  I plan on
relocating my lighter socket under the passenger seat to retain power for
cell phones, etc.

The panel fits standard VDO (2 1/16ths, I believe) gauges.  This would be
cheaper than a package deal, especially with some of the VDO prices recently
mentioned on the Digest.  Don't forget to also order the appropriate sender
units for oil pressure and temp.

I think the panel is $95, and the gauges should be $25-30 each.  Sender
units are not cheap, not sure of the price.

You should be able to do the whole thing for the low-to-mid $200s.

Regards,

Reed
Seattle
1985 535i