Re: Buying a new BMW

> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 22:02:51 EST
> From: Osbcso@domain.elided
> Subject: Buying a New BMW
>
> After taking my father down to Spartenburg for the M Day USA festivities last
> month, he has now caught the "Bimmer" fever.  He wants a 1999 528i.
>
> I have had two BMWs and never bought new.  Other than shopping local dealers,
> what other means are out there to get a good deal?  One local dealer came out,
> without us asking, that they would be only willing to reduce the sticker price
> by 3% and that's it.  Big deal!!!  I am a tough customer when it comes down to
> price, which is probably why I have bought used.

Well Chris, I've only bought one BMW new, so far, and that was my '95 325i. At
the time I didn't know enough to shop around and took my local dealer's 'best
price' as being gospel.  Now, I know better.  I am currently shopping for a
new M Roadster and I'm taking my sweet time.  Always remember this: dealers
can smell blood.  They have an innate sense for a keen buyer who can't wait to
get behind the wheel of a brand new beauty and they sharpen their claws ready
for the kill.  But if you act like you're in no big hurry to get a new car,
their demeanor changes completely.  Do the research, go into the dealer with a
good idea of what you want and what you expect to pay.  Know what color,
options etc. you want.  Remember, it will help your bargaining position
greatly if they have a model in stock that meets your needs.  Call around to
every dealer within a day's drive from you to see  what they have.  They may
even be able to quote you prices over the phone. Let them know that 'another
dealer' has quoted less.  Start you're own little bidding war going.  So far
it's working for me.  I have three dealers very keen to sell me a M Roadster
at very good prices (we're talking at least 6% below list for a'99 and down to
dealer invoice for a new '98!).  Of course it helps to be shopping for a
convertible in December in Toronto!  Supply and demand you know.  But that's
why I'm doing it.  If I wait until spring they'll be selling them for list or
close to it 'coz folks are lined up for new Z3's then.

Just don't be afraid to shop around and be ruthless but fair. The dealer has
to make some money.  But the salesman needs to make his/her quotas too, and
that's pure sales.  There's a lot more room for negotiation than they would
have you believe.  There are web sites where you can find  the dealer invoice
prices for all cars, Edmund's is one: http://edmunds.com/edweb/cars/ . Now you
have an idea of what they have paid.  They need to make at least two or three
grand, but above that is up for negotiation.  Some dealers may not be too
flexible with price but might play with you for options.  I have one dealer
down to the lowest price he will go and then I talked him into throwing in a
CD changer at no extra charge.  Consider a demo, or a '98 too.  You can save a
lot of money here and the dealers are often very keen to unload.  And with a
demo you shouldn't have to pay dealer prep & PDI which will save a bunch more.

Remember, it doesn't matter where you buy your Bimmer, you can have the
service work done wherever you like.  Make your local dealer aware of this.
"Sure, I'd like to buy from you and all, seeing as how this is so close to
where I live and I'll be having all my service work done here, but Dan at
Roundel BMW is offering the same car for $1,500 less so I guess I'll be buying
form him"  Salesman are SO competitive, nothing makes their blood boil more
than thinking they will see you driving by their showroom every day in a brand
new Bimmer from another dealer.

Car shopping is one of the most exquisite experiences known to men (who
generally hate to shop for anything!) so make the  most of it.  It's a lot of
money you're spending.  Test drive, get schmoozed, but keep them waiting.
Don't sign ANYTHING until you have convinced yourself that you have exhausted
every avenue to find the best car/price/package available.  Sorry for the long
post.  I got a little carried away!  Good luck.  Happy driving.  Your Dad will
thank you.  Once you've driven a BMW it's hard to drive anything else.

John.