Nazi Cops .. Don

> Don Said:
>
> Mark, you took this way too personally.  I share the blame for that, but
> the computer medium doesn't help.   I do not think you are arrogant,
> stupid, or any of that other stuff.   I simply think you are not well
> informed on this stuff.
>
> I was not just reacting to you, but to a lot of other posts as well.
> Sorry if it seems like I was unloading on you.

No Problem Don, I agree, thiings can get twisted on the internet.

> Been there, done that.  Used to videotape surgeries, major ones.   Also
> used to be a criminology major.   Less stress in the O.R.   There has to
> be, since if doctors faced their own death every time they cut, they would
> be unable to operate at all.

Well, that just goes to the professionalism of surgeons.  They don't allow
a feeling of chaos dominate the atmosphere.

> No one shoots at Doctors.   If the patient dies the doc still goes home to
> his/her family.

Well, stress comes from what one puts on him/herself.  If the patient
dies, you better believe doctors stress it, especially in a situation
where it wasn't supposed to happen.

> As far as professionalism, out here in California, almost every cop I've
> met has been a total pro; relaxed and competent.   Where do you live?

New York.  Out there in California, the police have become the butt of
jokes, maybee thats forced them to be a bit more professional?  I haven't
ever dealt with the CHP or LAPD, so I don't know anything about them, but
if they are that good, well, more power to the state of California.

> Do cops -really- mouth off at you while giving you tickets?  That has never
> happened to me.

Of course they do.  Sometimes they directly tell me how much of a public
danger I am, and other times, they simply give you "the cop eye".

> You need a videocamera if this is actually happening to you.

And guess what would happen if I did have one?

> Again, this has not been my experience.   Actually, here in CA, things have
> gotten to where the citizen is usually believed -before- the cop is, which
> is resulting in us losing a lot of good cops to malicious and frivilous
> complaints.

To tell you the truth, as much as I hate good people being affected by
frivilous complaints, and such, I don't mind a system where a citizen is
believed over the officer.  Unfortunatly, the actions of police officers
have gotten so out of hand, that it has to be this way to tip the scales
to a more even level.  In a perfect society, we wouldn't need something
like that, but the abuse of power will bring about such injustices.

> There are situations in which it is deadly.   Basic speed law, remember?

Basic speed law?  Of course they are situation where it is dangerous.
Going 70 mph in a town is just plain stupid.  But I am talking about
public highways.

> Btw, I went 7mph over the posted speed limit in every state on a CA to NY
> run this summer (it was safe to do so).   No tickets.

I usually do 9 mph over the limit on highways, without incident.   But
thats still not enough.  That became abundantly clear about... oh.. 2
years ago I think, when New York State raised the speed limit to 65 mph.
Now to raise it another 10 mph, and then with strict enforcement.  That
would be ideal.

> Actually I teach here.   Trendy anarchy however, is still very popular in
> the mass culture.  I see it everywhere I look.    Is there anything more
> boring than some 40-year-old still posing as a "rebel"?     (again, I am
> not talking about Mark!)

Hmm, thing have changed from the earlyu 90s.  Its no longer that trendy,
and we both know that trend originated from a backlash against abusive
power.  Plain and simple.

> Ok, you're not a trendy anarchist, you're a libertarian.    Some good stuff
> there, but I have reservations in general.

Haha, you've got me!  But I'm not a hardcore libertarian, I take the good
and leave the bad.

> Police are not generally hated, and you will never find any stats/studies
> to support such a statement.

I don't have studies on this, but go ask everyone you meet today if they
like police, and see what the first words out of their mouths are.

> The police need to always be professional, and the public needs to
> understand nature, and dangers of, the job we pay them to do, and not
> expect them to be shoe salesmen.

I think the public more than understands the duty of the police.  They've
shoved it down our mouts enough with the endless TV shows, like COPS,
LAPD, etc..
But they are called 'public servants' for a reason.  They are here to
police our actions, which have been deemed illegal, not too act as the
omnipotent and malevolent parent who like to choose favorite children
based on PBA donations.

> Actually, I do not have a chip anywhere, I simply know a lot of cops, and
> wish you did as well because you would change your mind.
>
> BTW, just for the record, you impress me as a bright and fairly reasonable
> guy.  Don't mistake my strong views for personal dislike of you.
>

> And hey, have a GREAT Thanksgiving!

I did, hope you did too!

 --------
 Mark (aka cu) / iCE Staff