Re:ABS Problem, <E30>

The ABS in my '87 325is failed some months ago in what I believe is a
rather unusual way. Braking hard resulted in tire squeal and no
modulation of the pedal.

The ABS check light functioned in a normal manner.
The Bentley manual was of no use at all in diagnosing the problem.

It turned out that the two relays and harness plug on the pressure
modulating valve  had soldering flux and some corrosion on their pins.
Normal ABS operation was restored after removing the flux and corrosion.

It is apparent that the ABS self - diagnostic capability does not
include testing for the above problem. Perhaps a BMW Technician on the
digest  could confirm this?

Peter du Bois