RE: Over-reving

I agree that BMW NA should not be held responsible for a missed shift.
But it does seem to be a major problem in Ma's. I used to have a 1992
3000GTVR4. I bought it new in 92 and modified the heck out of it (thanks
John Henennsey) 2 weeks after I got it. I dove the car for 4 years and
overreved it many many times without ever doing any damage to the
engine. This car saw the drag strip, road racing, auto crossing, and
lots of street racing.< Hold your flames, I was young and stupid as we
all were at one time>. The point is I beat this car to death. I went
though 5 diff/tranies and a set of tires and brakes every 8-10 months
but NEVER had any engine failure of any kind. I traded the car in about
a year and a half ago with 75000 miles of abuse on the engine and the
thing ran like it was new.

How can a inferior car withstand so much abuse, when I have heard
stories of M3's going up in smoke with just 1 missed shift?

Is this problem more evident in the 3.0 cars , as I haven't heard much
about the 3.2.

Sean
duk007@domain.elided
1998 M3  (doesn't blow fire out the exhaust but I still love it .)