E34 Check Engine Light

    Hello, the check engine light on my '90 525i keeps coming on and
going off, and coming on and going off.  I am patiently waiting for
Santa to bring me a Bentley's manual, but untill then, can I have a
little help.  I was wondering how to check the OBC or whatever part of
the car that stores the fault codes.  I tried turning the key to the on
position and stepping on and off the gas 6 times as suggested by a FAQ
on the E36 page, but nothing happened.  Am I just doing it wrong or does
anyone know if the procedure for a 5 series is different.  Also, where
do I find out the how to decipher them?  TIA

Rory
'90 525i