Weird Headlight Problem <E30>

Continuing a thread that I started months ago but am just now following
up on (hey, what's the rush?)...

Symptom:  With headlights on, switch to hi beams (either stalk forward
or stalk backward, doesn't matter).  When I switch back to low beams,
all headlights go completely out for a fraction of a second (somewhere
between a half second and one second).  After having done this, all
headlights may momentarily go out during subsequent driving until the
car is parked and re-started.

Action Taken So Far:

1.  Switched relays around - horn, hi beam and low beam relays are the
same part number.  Did not solve problem.

2.  Replaced both hi and low beam relays with new Bosch relays.  Did not
solve problem.

What Next?

I now suspect a problem with the headlight portion of the turn signal
stalk.  This seems the next most logical problem area.

My Questions:  Has anyone out there taken an E30 turn signal stalk
apart?  Is there anything in it's design that might cause this "lights
out" condition for a fraction of a second when switching from hi beam to
low beam?  Has anyone had this problem and successfully solved it by
replacing the turn signal stalk?  Are there any other problem areas in
the headlight circuit that could cause this that I haven't thought of
yet?

As always, any help is appreciated, TIA and all that.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid