<e30 suspension> control arm boots, etc.

Well, I just finished installing shocks/springs on my 87 325is.  (I went
with Bilstein Sport shocks + Eibach HD springs... I like the firmer ride.)
I replaced the rear shock mounts, but decided to wait on the front mounts
until I have a chance to autocross with this setup...  I think I might
want more negative camber on the front, to reduce understeer.

Anyways, in the process of taking out the front struts, I noticed that the
boots protecting the ball joint that connects the control arm to the strut,
and the boots protecting the joint between the strut and tie-rod are broken.
Can the boots be replaced individually, or do I need to replace the whole
control arm.  (I remember hearing that the ball joints can't be replaced
separately from the control arm.)  I think the tie-rod joint boot might have
been broken while using a pickle fork to get the joint apart, but I think
the control arm joint boot has been split for a while...  how can I tell if
the ball joint itself has gone bad?

On a related note, I have read that the e46 uses an aluminum control arm.
Has anyone figured out if this will fit an e30?

Also, I accidentally bottomed out the car.  (Opps!)  It doesn't look like I
did much damage, but some of the undercoating is scratched.  Is there
anything I should be doing to protect from rust?

Thanks

- --Rob

PS.  I used the bentley to guide me through the process, but I had to figure
out a number of tricks along the way... some of these may be obvious to
someone who has done this type of work before, but if anyone is interested,
I could post my experience.

End of bmw-digest V9 #602