Re: <E28> M5 Windshield Replacement Advice Needed

At 07:45 PM 11/28/98 -0500, John wrote:
>I know this subject has been discussed before, but I seem to remember that
>when replacing Original German windshields there is a particular kind of
glass
>that I should demand.

Demand nothing less than AMERICAN MADE glass.  The German stuff is really
soft and a lot more expensive

>This morning my windshield was "nailed" by a rock out on the highway, while I
>was test driving after I completed some routine maintenance.  Enough for that
>joy ride<g>.

Happened to me in my M5 too.  Didn't take much to totally ruin the windshield.

>Any advice on what to look out for, tinting, gasket replacement, kind of
>glass, etc. is very much appreciated.

The gasket can probably be reused.  The don't use any sealants or other
such "goop".  It's strictly a dry fit (metal->rubber->glass).  I had mine
replaced and it only cost $100 (my deductable).  Call your insurance guy.
I'll bet you only have to pay a little (instead of the whole thing).  If
not the regular price would have been around $200.

Good luck.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii