Re: Spark Plugs

There is an old dragsters trick to get all the performance out of your
plugs. If you install the spark plugs so that the open side of the
electrode is facing the intake valve, it is said to improve the 'burn'
as opposed to being 180 degs. away, with the 'post' of the electrode
facing the in coming fuel. The way they accomplished this was:
1st. Put a mark (magic marker)on the plug insulator indicating the
open side.
2nd. Install the plug and note where the mark is facing. If by
chance it's facing the intake valve, no adjustment is needed.
     If it isn't, add a "shim spacer", (purchased from your local
     performance shop), as required to position the plug. These spacers
come in several different thickness in order to get the right position.
Keep changing the shim ring thickness until the plug has been position
as above.

I personally have never gone to this much trouble, but have heard that
it does improve performance, how much I don't know. But it does make
since. Even in the sales literature of my car, they show a cut-away view
of the combustion cylinder, with the 'duel tips' open to the intake
valve. Maybe they just showed it that way to make it look pretty.
In your case, I believe your plugs have duel electrodes as well, so
position them so that the open side faces the intake valve(s). If anyone
goes to this trouble, let me know how it works out.

Richard Vaughn
BMW CCA #132931 Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i