Re: <E28> M5 Euro bumpers info wanted **Rob

"Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: <E28> M5 Euro bumpers info wanted
>
>I've recently acquired an '88 M5 which I absolutely love, with one
>exception.  The bookshelf-like US bumpers really detract from the lines of
>the car.  I'd like to install the Euro bumpers.
>The only kit I've been able to find is the one offered by BMP.
>Does anybody have any tidbits to share regarding this mod?  Are there other
>kits out there that are worth considering?  Are factory parts available?
>I asked Dinan; they had no real info to share.  I also asked B-Line Body
>Shop in San Jose.  They cautioned that if extensive fitting was required, I
>could run up the labor costs pretty quickly.

            I did a similar mod to my '85 535i... I fitted the full Euro
standard bumper package (practically identical to the M5, but the M5 parts
also include a special airdam, side skirts, and rear valance).

            You can see the final results at
www.bubbaclub.com/rob/callaway.htm

            Overall, they look fantastic.  But I would absolutely not do it
again if I knew what was involved before I started.  B-line body was right -
there is extensive modification involved, not just unbolting the US bumpers
and bolting in the Euros... besides drilling lots of holes and having to
remove original welded-on components, the front frame rails needed to be
trimmed., so it's irreversible.  The entire front valance needs to be
changed as well, you lose the US turn signals in the bumper and the Euro has
them flush-mounted in the valance.  Oh, the turn signals... they don't work
the same way the US ones do.  I had to fabricate a socket to hold the
dual-filament bulbs for parking lights/turn signals so they would work
properly.  There's painting involved, as well as the bodywork.  By the time
I was done, I spent about $2100.

        There are sources for the parts, both new and used (I got new parts
from Steve D'Gerolamo, www.ultimategarage.com ).  I have the complete list
of part numbers, including the M5 pieces, somewhere... if you want, I'll dig
them up.

        From what I've heard about the BMP kit, it's all the same trouble as
real Euro bumpers but with lower quality.  I haven't seen them in person,
but I've heard from someone who actually installed it on their car.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo
'86 535i (with US bumpers)

www.shortshifter.com