re: Over-Rev protection idea

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Gleb Arshinov wrote:

> How about hydraulic clutch actuator, controlled by DME and trigerred
> by the same input that makes DME store the overrev info.  I've never
> heard of any car having anything like that, however, it seems simple
> (but probably is not).

  A hydraulic clutch actuator is one solution, but a complex and
expensive one.  But this line of thinking gives me the idea that some
sort of gear engagement gate setup could be employed to prevent
shifting into the wrong gear.
  Our big-engined Firebird driving friends have a gate that forces
them to shift from 1st to 4th gear when they don't have their right
foot planted on the firewall.  (Strictly for EPA gas mileage reasons;
many drivers disable the device because it's so annoying)
  It seems entirely possible to construct a similar device that would
not let you downshift into any gear that is currently too far beyond
the RPM range of the engine.  Of course, racers would probably want to
immediately disable such a device, but it would be handy for street
use I'm sure.
  I won't even speculate on how far a manufacturer should go to
protect a user from his own mistakes...

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and