Re: [e36] BMW/Rallye Motors Customer Service is NO service

I definitely wouldn't recommend Rallye Motors of Roslyn, either.

I moved from Florida, and Rallye was the nearest dealership that
I could locate. I took my '95 325i thinking I would make them my regular
dealership. The attention I got was so condescending, not to mention
an utter lack of interest, that I left the place immediately.  I have
had excellent treatment from my dealership in Florida, I see no reason
why they have to be any different. I was very well cared for.

I have never gone back to Rallye, never will, and don't intend to.
Rallye Motors of Roslyn? A definite "no-no".

The only time I did call BMW-NA for specific model information, I can't
say I have anything to complain about.

I'm sorry for your experience, Sean, but the three series are nice cars,
(particularly the M3 ) unfortunate quirks, notwithstanding. I use BMW of
Manhattan now, and they're nice, try them. The other dealership I hear that
is very good, if it`s not too out of your way --  "Wide World of Cars"

Zach
'95 325i w/ sport pkg.

> Terrible.  If I had to use one word to summarize BMW's customer service and
> the dealership that I purchased the car from, that's what I would use.
> Some background:
>
> My 1997 ///M3 Sedan was delivered in early February of 1997 from Rallye
> Motors of Roslyn, NY (a BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls Royce dealership).  The
> car has about 14,000 miles on it now in roughly 21 months of ownership.  I
> drive it only on weekends and once or twice a week between Monday and
> Friday for work.  At about 7-8000 miles or 8 months ago, my car developed an
> intermittent lifter ticking problem.  On my first trip to the dealership,
> they were unable to diagnose the problem because they were unable to
> recreate it.  Eventually, the ticking became more and more frequent,
> usually at startup and then going away after a few minutes.  Shortly
> thereafter, a
> temporary location switch at my job required me to drive approximately 80
> miles roundtrip for one week with about 9.5K on the odometer.  At the end
> of that week, the engine was constantly ticking.  I took my car in to the
> dealer to have it looked at for a second time and they replaced a lifter
> and two spark plugs which took one week.  The problem went away but started
> again at around 11.5K on the odometer.  At this time, another problem
> surfaced.  The car's Check Engine light came on twice in one week, each
> time the car idled roughly and had almost no acceleration (0-30 in about 12
> seconds), yet restarting the car cleared up the problem.  This also
> happened twice in the past but each incident was never close to each other
> and the
> problem went away in a few minutes.  When it did happened I took it to the
> dealership to have it looked at and both times the OBD recorded "no fault."
> I made an appointment and the earliest date they could get me was 5 weeks
> away.  After explaining the history, I got an appointment 3 weeks away.  I
> called BMW NA customer service for the first time to complain about the
> service and to document all the problems I had with this car.  Within these
> three weeks, the rough idling got worse and out of frustration, I drove the
> car to Rallye Motors on a Friday night after the service department was
> closed and left it with a BMW salesperson and demanded that the car be
> looked at first thing Monday morning.  I also made this salesperson drive
> the car in its "rough idle" mode to prove to them that even though the OBD
> might say "no fault" there is a fault.  Monday afternoon, the service
> department became aware of my problem.  After over a week and one
> crankshaft sensor replaced, I got the car back with no ticking and no "rough
> idle"
> mode only to find that my aftermarket Sony headunit was damaged and the left
> turn signal no longer functioning.  I brought it back the same day to have
> the
> [...]

End of bmw-digest V9 #575