RE: Squishy brakes

Jerry,

> I now have squishy brakes and I'm hoping to isolate the problem.  It could
> be 3 things as I see it:
>
> 1. Crappy bleed job
> 2. Diff between Metal Masters and Jurids
> 3. ABS

ABS may cause your pedal to go further, but will not cause them to be
squishy.  A soft pedal is caused by compression of air in your brake
lines.  You either need to get a better check valve on your one man
bleeder, get a pressure bleeder, or find someone to help you pump the
pedal.  I find that having someone pump the pedal works best for me.  I
also recommend Super Blue fluid as it lasts longer and has a higher wet
boiling point.

I have heard the metal master pad is actually a fairly hard feeling pad,
but have not used them.

Try bleeding the brakes again with another person.  Tapping on the
caliper with a dead blow hammer will also release that last bit of air
from the caliper.

If they are still soft after rebleeding...  Your master cylinder seals
could have gone bad.  Think of normal pedal travel vs. brake bleeding
travel.  It can harm seals causing leakage.

Joel
Joel.Wahlsten@domain.elided
91 M5?
84 911 (the emergency volkswagen)

> The 3rd is because I have read that you need a special tool to bleed car's
> with ABS,

This is BS.  You can use a pressure bleeder if this is what you are
talking about, but it is definitely not needed.