Bizarre door lock problem

Bizarre Door Locks

I'm wondering if any fellow Bimwads can help me with this problem.  The
door locks in my 95 E36 325 are behaving strangely and it's one of those
intermittent problems that never show up when you take it to the shop!
Sometimes when I lock the driver's door, all doors (& trunk) will lock
except for the passenger door (I don't have "remote" locking). Other
times, if I lock the passenger door, the same thing happens in reverse:
all doors lock except the driver's door.  About half the time all door
locks work as they should.

Now a really bizarre thing happened to me Friday.  When I arrived home I
found I was locked inside my car!  The doors were locked from inside,
when I pulled the driver's side lock up it refused to unlock the doors.
Same thing on the passenger side.  It didn't make any difference if the
ignition or motor was on or off. At first I thought this was pretty
funny.  Then I started to wonder how funny this would be if I was in an
accident or the car was on fire.  The only way I could get out of my car
was to open down the driver's side window (thankfully the power windows
were still working OK), then take the key out of the ignition, lean out
the window and unlock the door form the outside.  This must have looked
pretty funny to my neighbors as I'm sure none of them had experienced
this problem in their Windstars and Tercels. Has anybody else had this
kind of problem?  I'm starting the think my car is possessed by evil
spirits....

John.